Saturday, April 28, 2007

GRAVEL REFUSES TO GROVEL / WINS FIRST DEBATE


by Allen L Roland
OpEdNews
April 27, 2007 at 20:16:37

"The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie. One word of truth outweighs the world.": Alexander Solzhenitsyn (1918- ) Russian writer, Soviet dissident, Nobel Prize for Literature 1970 / imprisoned for 8 years for criticizing Stalin in a personal letter .


Just as I was beginning to nod off during the first Democratic debate ~ lulled to sleep by careful, posturing, groveling candidates beholden to AIPAC and the Military/Industrial complex ~ Mike Gravel woke me up with his wit, authenticity and seeming ability to sense what Americans really wanted to hear ~ the truth and righteous anger over a badly managed war, occupation and economy.

While all the other candidates were being careful ~ Gravel was being real and, in the process he won the audience and the debate ( if that's what you want to call it )

I especially enjoyed his answer when asked about the three most important enemies of the United States ~

GRAVEL: " We have no important enemies. What we need to do is to begin to deal with the rest of the world as equals, and we don't do that. We spend more as a nation on defense than all the rest of the world put together.

Who are we afraid of? Who are you afraid of, Brian? I'm not.

And Iraq has never been a threat to us. We invaded them. I mean, it is unbelievable. The military-industrial complex not only controls our government lock, stock and barrel but they control our culture. "

Wow !! That's when I really woke up ~ My God, someone is finally telling the truth and its a Presidential candidate on National Television ~ Am I dreaming ? I pinched myself twice and, sure enough, I was awake and witnessing something quite special in this age of soundbites and disingenuous political sloganing ~ a politician telling the truth !

Even the New York Times caught the Gravel moment and called him,The Long Shot who made short shrift of his Rivals .

Read and enjoy ~

No comments: